clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Everton 0-2 Manchester City - Instant Reaction | The Wembley dream is over

Toffees bravely beaten

Everton v Manchester City: The Emirates FA Cup Quarter Final Photo by Laurence Griffiths - The FA/The FA via Getty Images

The long wait goes on. The Wembley dream over.

Goals in the final 10 minutes from Ilkay Gundogan and Kevin De Bruyne sent Manchester City to yet another Wembley semi-final as their relentless march to the quadruple went on.

You could not fault Everton for effort, they were well organised and fiercely determined. They took City to the final 10, but they simply had too much, with a star-studded substitutes bench making the difference in the end.

Carlo Ancelotti made four changes from the defeat to Burnley, with Yerry Mina, Seamus Coleman, Gylfi Sigurdsson and goalkeeper Joao Virginia - making just his second Toffees start - coming into the side.

It was clear from the off that Everton’s plan was to sit deep, work hard off the ball and look to contain City.

It made nervy viewing at times, but proved effective in the first half, limiting City to only half chances.

Raheem Sterling had a shot from distance comfortably held Virginia before sending a free-kick over the bar.

Phil Foden also had a shot deflected over shortly before the break.

Everton offered little at the other end, Richarlison dribbled a shot from distance well wide and Zack Steffen had to be alert to rush off his line and clear from the onrushing Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

The best chance came from a set piece when Mina’s header that looked to be creeping in was cleared by Oleksandr Zinchenko.

Everton v Manchester City: The Emirates FA Cup Quarter Final Photo by Laurence Griffiths - The FA/The FA via Getty Images

Everton had a half-chance early in the second period when a free-kick wasn’t properly cleared and Richarlison volleyed wide.

Minutes later the best chance of the game so far fell to Sterling, but his side-footed effort from inside the area was superbly tipped round by Virginia’s fingertips.

Everton were working so hard, but City could create an opportunity in a flash, Foden taking a touch before fizzing an effort from distance just side of Virginia’s right-hand post.

Manchester City’s bench was frightening, especially compared to the paucity of options at Ancelotti’s disposal.

On came Riyad Mahrez and then, with 10 minutes left, De Bruyne - who made an immediate impact.

The Belgian drove into the area before the ball fell to Aymeric Laporte, whose shot was well tipped onto the bar by Virginia but Gundogan headed home the rebound.


Minutes later, it was two - mirroring December’s EFL Cup defeat to Manchester United - as De Bruyne broke clear and slammed home.

There was no shame in this defeat, City are one of the best teams in the world and they pushed them to the limit, but they just weren’t good enough in the end.

In many ways it is a metaphor for our season. Progress made and plenty to be positive about, but still a way to go before we can compete with the best.