For every weekend that this suspension lasts, we’re doing a quiz on each Everton season, going back one year at a time. This week, it’s the 2013-14 campaign, which marked the start of life after David Moyes and Roberto Martinez’s first year at Goodison Park.
So whether it’s to cure the self-isolation boredom and blues, or just to test your knowledge about how much you remember from 2013-14, here’s 15 questions to sink your teeth into:
(Correct answers found at bottom of page, so make sure to keep a note of all of your answers before then)
- What did Roberto Martinez promise following his appointment as Everton manager in June 2013?
A. To win the title
B. Champions League qualification
C. To win silverware in his first season
D. A top six finish
2. Which Everton player scored a panenka penalty during their pre-season friendly shootout win over Juventus in America?
A. Steven Pienaar
B. Gerard Deulofeu
C. Leighton Baines
D. John Stones
3. Who was the first signing of the Roberto Martinez era?
A. Arouna Koné
B. Joel Robles
C. Antolin Alcaraz
D. James McCarthy
4. Who scored the first competitive Everton goal of the Roberto Martinez era?
A. Seamus Coleman
B. Ross Barkley
C. Steven Naismith
D. Leighton Baines
5. How much did Everton eventually sell Marouane Fellaini to Manchester United for?
A. £22.5 million
B. £25 million
C. £27.5 million
D. £30 million
6. Which team was the first to beat Everton under Martinez in a League Cup tie in September 2013?
7. Who scored the winner for Everton in their first win at Old Trafford in 21 years when they beat Moyes’ Man Utd 1-0 in December 2013?
A. Phil Jagielka
B. Leighton Baines
C. Bryan Oviedo
D. Seamus Coleman
8. How many league games did Everton lose in the first half of the 2013-14 season?
9. Which lower-league side did Everton knock out of both the League Cup and the FA Cup in 2013-14?
10. Aiden McGeady, a January transfer window signing from Spartak Moscow, was given what squad number?
11. What was Everton’s best winning streak in the league in 2013-14?
A. 5 games
B. 6 games
C. 7 games
D. 8 games
12. What was unusual about Everton’s 2-0 defeat at Southampton in April 2014?
A. Both goals were own goals
B. Both goals were offside
C. Both goals were penalties
D. Martinez labelled the performance ‘phenomenal’ despite the result
13. Everton smashed their record Premier League points total in 2013-14. How many did they finish with?
14. Who was the only Everton player to be sent off during 2013-14?
A. Kevin Mirallas
B. Tim Howard
C. Joel Robles
D. Gareth Barry
15. How many players made Everton first team debuts during 2013-14?
- B (Champions League qualification)
- D (John Stones)
- A (Arouna Koné)
- B (Ross Barkley)
- C (£27.5 million)
- B (Fulham)
- C (Bryan Oviedo)
- A (2 defeats)
- D (Stevenage)
- A (7)
- C (7 games)
- A (Both goals were own goals)
- C (72)
- B (Tim Howard)
- B (10 players - McCarthy, Lukaku, Barry, Deulofeu, Stones, Alcaraz, Robles, Koné, Traoré, Garbutt)
How did you score? Comment below to let us know...