clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ancelotti: “I still have a lot of things to say”

Manager’s comments after late drama sees him sent off in Everton’s draw against Manchester United

Everton FC v Manchester United - Premier League Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Everton and Manchester United fought out a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park, but the game was marred late on by some drama. Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s deflected effort went in off Harry Maguire, with David De Gea rooted to the spot while the ball rolled past a prone and offside Gylfi Sigurdsson.

The initial call was given for a goal, but referee Chris Kavanagh spoke with VAR referee Jon Moss and chose to overturn the call, saying it was offside. This was despite Sigurdsson not interfering with play or that Maguire’s touch basically negated the offside.

When Kavanagh blew the final whistle a couple of minutes afterward, an incensed Carlo Ancelotti demanded an explanation and the referee chose to give him a red card, which will now see the veteran manager suspended for the trip to Chelsea and facing a fine.

It didn’t end there, with reports that Ancelotti went into the referee’s dressing room after that to continue his line of questioning. When he finally emerged to speak to the collected media, he did seem calmer.

“I still have a lot of things to say, but yes I asked the referee for an explanation after the game and then he sent me off the pitch. After that I spoke with him and the conversation I had with him I will keep private.

“The goal itself was a borderline decision. Gylfi was offside but in our opinion he did not affect the vision of the goalkeeper De Gea. Really difficult to decide, but any way, the game is finished.

“It’s a draw. We played well, I’m happy for this, we have to continue and have no complaints. The performance of the team is the most important thing and it was good. Manchester United is a good team and play good football, but we were competitive all the time.”

When pressed if he had now accepted the VAR decision, and his thoughts on missing the next game after being sent off.

“No the vision is clear because Gylfi was on the floor, but it was offside, he was in front of the goalkeeper and then you have to decide if his vision was affected or not.

“I hope not, because I did not disrespect the referee, and he knows this. If I have to be banned then I will not stand at Stamford Bridge.

“I don’t know (if Everton will appeal the sending off), we will have to speak about it. It’s not a big problem really, we are going to prepare well for the game.”

Was he impressed by how competitive Everton were today?

“Yes especially in the second half. In the first half it was much more difficult. By the fact that we scored early we didn’t want to push a lot.

“The second half was completely different, we had total control of the game and we played well.”

On what he would say to Jordan Pickford, who misjudged a dipping shot from distance by Bruno Fernandes, allowing the ball to squirm past him on the near post.

“He did well, I don’t want to judge him on the individual performance of the player. He tried to do his best and sometimes he was good, sometimes he could do better.

“This is the life of the goalkeeper.”