FIFA’s Women’s World Cup starts today in France and we are losing our minds with excitement!
Here’s some things to know going into the tournament, which goes until the final on July 7th:
- The only official Everton player at the Women’s World Cup is Netherlands midfielder Inessa Kaagman. She was Everton’s highest goal scorer for her first season with the Blues and made a name for herself by scoring amazing goals like this:
⚽️ | Our goals of the season may or may not contain a few belters from @InessaKaagman... ⤵️— Everton Ladies (@EvertonLadies) June 1, 2019
- Former Blue, Olivia Chance, will be playing for New Zealand. It was announced that she was leaving the club in late May. Since then, New Zealand shocked the world by beating heavily favoured England 1-0 in a friendly leading up to the World Cup. Anything can happen!
- Netherlands play New Zealand on Tuesday 11 June 14:00 BST on BBC Red Button or online. In the US, that will be at 9:00 am on FS1
- The Opening Ceremony kicks off before the first game around 8:38 pm Local/2:38 pm ET.
- The first game will see the host country France square off against Korea Republic starting at 9 pm Local/3 pm ET on FS1 in the states and BBC1 in England
- Games will be shown in USA on Fox, FS1 and FS2
- Games will be shown in England on BBC
- Live Google Calendar of all the games, courtesy of Stars & Stripes
- For game coverage be sure to follow All For XI
- While Inessa Kaagman is the only official Blue at the tournament right now, that may change because Manager Willie Kirk stated that he wants to recruit 6-8 new players this summer and the transfer window opens on June 14th! Stay posted to see who will be the new Blues and if they are in the World Cup!
- There are many former Blues attending the World Cup for England, including Toni Duggan, Lucy Bronze and Jill Scott!
- Everyone’s talking about England vs Scotland, which will be taking place 9 June at 17:00 BST on BBC 1 which will be at 12:00 pm ET on Fox!