Everton have confirmed the signing of Andre Gomes from Barcelona for a fee in the region of £22m, including unnamed add-ons.
The 25-year-old has signed a five-year deal at Goodison Park to become the Toffees’ second signing of the summer after goalkeeper Jonas Lössl.
| He's back for more... pic.twitter.com/vHMGPwq98k— Everton (@Everton) June 25, 2019
The deal is likely to be a popular one amongst the fans who took Gomes to their hearts during his loan spell at the club last season.
The Portugal international arrived at the club on transfer deadline day in August but a hamstring injury meant he wouldn’t make his debut until October.
However, he quickly established himself in the side after impressing in his first appearance for the Toffees against Crystal Palace.
His form dipped throughout the winter, mirroring that of the team, but he ended the campaign strongly.
Everton boss Marco Silva was open in his desire to sign Gomes permanently but faced competition from Tottenham Hotspur for his signature.
Spurs eventually dropped out of the race before West Ham United came in with a surprise £18million bid. However, they soon moved onto other targets when it became apparent that Gomes insisted on a return to Merseyside.
Speaking about the move, Gomes said:
“I’m really happy to sign the contract with Everton – it wasn’t hard to decide, it was an easy decision and I’m very happy to have made it.
“I know the Club made a massive effort to sign me and I’m very happy and thankful to them. I said during the year that I felt part of a family and that is the most important thing to me.
“Last year was a really good experience for me. I just wanted to feel part of something special and I found it here. It was good for me in that moment and right now, after signing for Everton, it’s even better.
“I think the ambition here is not only for me, I think it’s for all the players, the fans and the Club. We are all excited for that.”
Toffees boss Marco Silva says the club’s ambition as well as its core values were key in persuading Gomes to make the permanent move to Merseyside.
“Andre was a really important player for us last season and I think we were really able to help him, too.
“It was a good decision to bring Andre to the club and we made it one of our priorities to get him back.
“I am delighted we have been able to do that as he is a quality player and we were so happy with what he gave us.
“He is someone who has shown he can operate to a high level in the Premier League and for our club, and I know our fans will be fantastic in welcoming him back.
“What Andre learned about the club, our fans and our vision convinced him that this is where he wants to play his football and I know he shares the big ambitions that we have going forwards.”