clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Silva reflects on Fulham defeat and André Gomes ban

Midfielder will miss next three games after stamping on Aleksandar Mitrović in Saturday’s loss

Fulham FC v Everton FC - Premier League Photo by Christopher Lee/Getty Images

Everton manager Marco Silva said he has been pleased with the reaction his side have shown in training following Saturday’s defeat at Fulham.

The Blues’ run of three consecutive league wins came to an end as they lost 2-0 to the already-relegated Whites, who had lost their previous nine games.

At his pre-match press conference on Thursday before Sunday’s visit of Manchester United to Goodison Park, when asked if he is happy with what he has seen this week, Silva said:

“Of course, but to be honest, they have worked like they normally do. It’s not been any different because our last performance was not good enough and we didn’t achieve the result we wanted. The way we have worked this week is the normal way we have worked since the first day of the season.

“Of course, we have to react to things differently to how we did in the last game because to be honest it wasn’t good enough.

“We didn’t expect it, but we know how tough the Premier League is. Maybe you are thinking it will be easy because they’ve already been relegated. We didn’t prepare the game in this way. They were better than us.”

Everton will have to face the Red Devils without midfielder André Gomes, who was handed a retrospective three-match ban on Tuesday after stamping on Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrović in Saturday’s defeat.

Liverpool FC v Everton FC - Premier League
Gomes will be unavailable for Everton until the final day of the season
Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

While Silva felt it was out of character for Gomes, he admitted he was not impressed by what he saw from the player:

“We didn’t like it, of course. André is an honest and fair player. In that moment, he didn’t show that. We have to come to an emotional balance, and it’s a moment for Andre to learn.”

With four games of the season left, it is possible Gomes, a Barcelona loanee, has played his last game at Goodison, given he will miss both remaining home games against United and Burnley.

Silva was asked if the permanent signing of the Portuguese midfielder, 25, is likely to happen this summer, but remained coy on the subject and said he has complete faith in whoever he picks to take Gomes’ place on Sunday.

“Good question. I don’t have the answer now, but of course, they all enjoy playing at home, not just André. Next match will be a fantastic atmosphere at home again, for sure.

“Of course, we will miss him because he’s a very good player and he was in a good moment, but it will be a good opportunity for others to come and show their quality. I’m 100 per cent sure the player who will start [in Gomes’ place] can show it.”

Silva also confirmed that, aside from Gomes, only central defender Yerry Mina is sidelined for this weekend’s match.

But he added that the Colombian is nearing a return from the hamstring injury he picked up on international duty last month.

“Just Yerry Mina is out; he’s doing individual work. It’s possible that next week he will start training with us.”