clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Silva reveals Gomes and Walcott return for Burnley clash

New, comment

Everton manager says both may feature at Turf Moor having recovered from injury

Everton FC v Arsenal FC - Premier League
Gomes and Walcott have both been sidelined by injuries
Photo by Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images

Everton manager Marco Silva has confirmed that André Gomes and Theo Walcott have recovered from their respective injuries and are available for selection for the Blues’ trip to Burnley on Saturday.

Gomes has not featured for Everton since the 3-2 home win over Wolverhampton Wanderers, having suffered a knock to his ribs in the same game. Walcott, meanwhile, was stretchered off with concussion during the 3-1 defeat to Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday.

But, speaking at his pre-match press conference on Thursday ahead of Saturday’s clash with the Clarets, Silva revealed both could return to action at Turf Moor:

“Both are available [for Burnley]. André didn’t play for the last month; it’s always a tough period for them, but he has worked this week. In some moments, he was more tired than his team-mates, but this is natural. Now, it’s up to us to keep working hard with him, and for him to put in the same level as the others.

“Theo’s situation was a little bit different. I was surprised it happened so fast in the last game, and André in the Wolves match. He wasn’t ready to help the team. André started [training] since the first day of the week; Theo started some individual [training] as well. It’s really good news for us.”

Meanwhile, Silva also announced that midfielder Jean-Phillipe Gbamin has resumed light training having been out of action since August.

Gbamin, a £25 million summer signing from Mainz, featured in both of Everton’s opening two league games before suffering a thigh injury in training the following week.

It is a setback that he has yet to fully recover from, but Silva said he has started individual training again this week, but was bullish on when he could expect to make his return to first team football:

“We saw him on the pitch for the first time in a long time [this week], doing individual work. Let’s see in the next few days how he reacts, but it was a good sign for us to see him on the pitch with his team-mates, starting to run.

“Even if it’s individual work, I think it was a good step.”

Everton FC v Watford FC - Premier League
Gbamin’s last Everton appearance came on August 17
Photo by Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images

Silva was also asked if he had advised striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin to adopt a more selfish approach to the game, with the 22-year-old netting four goals in his last three Everton appearances having previously failed to score this season:

“All the strikers they have that small detail to be a little more selfish. It’s something natural for them I think. The most important thing is when they can score. He scored four goals in the last three games, which is a good sign for him.”

And away from matters on the field, Silva was coy on whether Everton would make another move for Kurt Zouma, who spent last season on loan at Goodison Park from Chelsea, when the transfer window re-opens in January.

Zouma has seemingly fallen down the centre-half pecking order at Stamford Bridge, having not started a Premier League game for Chelsea since August 31, but Silva said that is an issue for another day:

“It’s too far away for us to talk about whether it’s possible or not. We have to keep full focus on our players, on what we are doing to keep improving as a team. This is the main thing for us.

“When the window opens again, we can talk about the situation, but at the moment, our full focus is on our players and always on the next game; nothing more than that.”