Everton Ladies are getting the star treatment in a friendly tournament in Gibraltar. They got some precious game time minutes in too with a 6-0 win over LA Salsa on Monday.
The Blue Girls came out victorious against the American non-league team, so it’s a little reminiscent of the Everton boys beating ATV Irdning 22-0 a few weeks ago.
The real test will be on Wednesday when they play Atlético Madrid Femenino, who are in the Primera División in Spain.
Manager Andy Spence believes the friendly tournament is a great way to prepare for the season:
“From a games perspective, we are playing Atletico Madrid, the champions of Spain and a side full of quality, so we can definitely test where we are as a team and how our preparations are going.”
“We are a Club of firsts and I don’t believe the Club has gone to Gibraltar before, so that’s a nice plus for us. But we want to go out there and represent the Club well on the pitch.”
“With the calibre of opposition we are playing, coupled with getting the time away together as a team and integrating everyone in, it is perfect preparation for the upcoming season.”
Some things we learned from Monday’s game:
- Claudia Walker is back! Having missed most of last season due to injury, she played her first full 90 minutes and scored a goal in the first 11 minutes of the game.
- New to the Toffees, Inessa Kaagman is not only a head tennis champion, she can score! The Netherlands midfielder netted twice.
- New forward Hannah Cain can also make an impact, scoring late in the game after coming on as a substitute.
- Defender Georgia Brougham scored with a header off of a corner and also off of a cross from Dominque Bruinenberg.
- Newly signed midfielder from Birmingham City, Abbey-Leigh Stringer, got her first start. Considering she is 6’0”, she could be an asset in the air for set pieces.
- Everton Ladies is currently playing with only one goalie in the squad. They really really need to do something about this soon because their season starts in less than three weeks.