Despite multiple injury concerns, Marco Silva was somehow able to name an unchanged starting eleven today at Goodison Park. Both Andre Gomes and Gylfi Sigurdsson were fit enough to start, and the pair were probably the best two players on the pitch. Sigurdsson’s second half tap-in was all Everton needed to see off Cardiff City 1-0.
- Not enough can be said about the effect that Andre Gomes has on Everton’s midfield. You knew about his range of passing, but today Gomes displayed a dribbling ability that we hadn’t seen yet. Gomes is a classic case of being a jack of all trades, master of none, and it’s working.
- Theo Walcott has received a lot of stick from Blues’ supporters recently, and it is fair to say that Ademola Lookman probably deserves to get some starts. Today, though, Walcott was quite effective, and his turn of a Cardiff defender ended up resulting in Everton’s winner. The goals will come.
- Three points will do a lot to cover up problems, but there was one issue that remains semi-constant. Richarlison is not a center forward. It’s not his fault, necessarily, because playing striker simply isn’t in his skill set. You also can’t particularly blame Marco Silva for trying to get his most talented players on the field, but a change is needed up top if Everton are going to become more lethal in the final third.
- Sure, it was just Cardiff City, but Everton’s defense was nearly flawless again today in earning their second consecutive clean sheet. It’s all a bit unfortunate for Kurt Zouma, who does not deserve to be on the bench, but you can expect Yerry Mina and Michael Keane to partner in the upcoming derby.
- Ademola Lookman continues to be Marco Silva’s first option off the bench, and he continues to prove himself. If not for a world class save by Neil Etheridge late on, Lookman would have scored one of the individual goals of the season.
- It was not a flawless performance by any means, but there is something to be said for Everton - mostly - continuing to beat the teams that they ought to. It’s a pleasant change.
We all know what awaits next. Can we talk about that later?