Everton Ladies showed a lot of grit against Liverpool Ladies in front of 1,439 rowdy fans at Select Security Stadium, but couldn’t hold off a strong opponent, going down 2-0 in the second half.
Natasha Harding scored in the 69th minute with Niamh Charles adding the second in the 90th minute for Liverpool. Beth England pestered Everton goalie Durack throughout the whole game with several shots on target.
- Woman of the Match has got to be Everton goalkeeper Lizzie Durack, newly back in the squad after her time at Harvard. She had several incredible saves, including an excellent punch in the 77th minute.
- A close second was Claudia Walker, who chipped a shot over the Liverpool goalkeeper Siobhan Chamberlain before a Liverpool player cleared the ball at the goal touchline.
- Liverpool had a lot of set pieces by the goal and Everton have to work on their defense during corners.
- Everton showed a lot of toughness and had a lot of nice tackles, including by defender Gabbie George (who also had a shot that just missed the net). As it was a derby, the ref mostly kept her cards in her pocket.
- Liverpool did dominate possession but Everton were good on the breakaway.
This was the first game back in the WSL1 for the Toffees and they were a bit nervy, sometimes relying on long balls too much, which led to giving away possession.
The WSL1 season has finally started and the Toffees proved that they can compete but have a few things to work on. Everton Girls play Birmingham City on October 1st and will be eager to show improvement.
Come On You Blue Girls!