If you looked up a list of footballers with 200 or more English Premier League goals the list would only contain two men, Alan Shearer and our very own Wayne Rooney.
Shearer was gracious in welcoming Wayne to the Pantheon via Twitter:
Rooney may have scored the large portion of those goals in a United shirt, but it was very fitting that he put number 200 in for the club that built him. He’s proven in the first two weeks of the season that he’s not done as a relevant star in this league, showing himself to be the heart and soul of this Everton attack.
Former teammate and the man to replace Rooney with the United armband Michael Carrick had this to say:
Wayne Rooney has cemented himself as one of the greatest English football players of all time who will never be forgotten as long as this game is played. We appreciate not only Rooney but also the Everton decision makers who had enough faith to bring him back to us. Here are the videos for goal number 1 and goal number 200, both in beautiful Everton colors:
“It was nice,” said Rooney, when asked about scoring his 200th league goal.
“To do it today in such an important game for us, with tough games coming up, it was a sweet moment and I am sure the red half of Manchester will have enjoyed it as well.”
Here are some stats around Rooney’s landmark, via ESPN FC.
HOW MANY HE HAS SCORED
- Total Premier League games: 462
- Total Premier League goals: 200
- Goals for Everton: 17 goals
- Goals for Manchester United: 183 (most in the PL) by any player for a single club
- Highest tally of Premier League goals in one season: 27 (2011-12)
- Lowest tally of Premier League goals in one season: 5 (2016-17)
HOW HE SCORED THEM
- Right foot: 153
- Left foot: 26
- Headers: 21
- Inside the box: 173
- Outside the box: 27
- Direct free kicks: 7
- Penalties: 20
WHOM HE SCORED AGAINST
- 14 goals: Newcastle
- 13: Aston Villa
- 11: Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United
- 10: Fulham, Portsmouth
- 9: Bolton Wanderers, Manchester City
- Only Shearer has double-figure goal tallies against more Premier League opponents -- 12, to Rooney's seven.
- Rooney has scored Premier League goals against 35 different opponents in all.
WHERE HE SCORED THEM
- Old Trafford: 101
- Goodison Park: 11
- St James' Park: 8
- Upton Park: 7
- White Hart Lane: 7