Everton’s desire to build the long term future of the club through youth remains at the forefront of Ronald Koeman and Steve Walsh’s Merseyside project. Despite the big money acquisitions of Davy Klaassen and Jordan Pickford, the Blues still want to add to their youth team that won the Premier League 2 title this past season.
Youngsters like Tom Davies, Mason Holgate, Jonjoe Kenny, Kieran Dowell, Ademola Lookman, and Dominic Calvert-Lewin are proof positive that Everton aren’t afraid to throw young players into the deep end.
The son of one of the Owl’s greatest ever players, Hirst has always had a lot of pressure on his shoulders since he joined the club’s youth side. He had an exceptional season for Wednesday, scoring 32 goals for the Under-18s and Under-23s this season. Hirst was also top-scorer at the Toulon youth tournament that England won.
After having an initial offer rejected in January, an Everton scout has confirmed that the club will return to Sheffield Wednesday in pursuit of young English striker George Hirst:
Everton are still interested in Sheffield Wednesday striker George Hirst.
The Blues’ chief under-23s scout Jamie Hoyland has confirmed that the Championship club rejected an offer for the teenager in January.
Hoyland remained tight lipped on the prospect of a return bid this summer but said Everton are keeping tabs on the England youth international.
Speaking to Sheffield Live TV, Hoyland said: “We were interested in him earlier on this season, I’ll admit it, we put a little bid in to Sheffield Wednesday (in January) but (they said) no way.Everton are still interested in Sheffield Wednesday striker George Hirst.”
Hirst will only need to look to England’s recent youth tournament participation to see what a move to USM Finch Farm might do for his career. Five Blues carried the U20 side to a World Cup title, and Jordan Pickford is backstopping the U21s at the Euros this month in Poland.
What do you say, George? Want to join the movement?