Referee Martin Atkinson will be in charge for Everton’s game at Swansea City on Saturday. Coincidentally, Atkinson also officiated the reverse fixture at Goodison Park in November, a 1-1 draw where he booked five Blues and two Swans.
Even previous to that, Atkinson is not well liked around the blue half of Merseyside thanks to some controversial refereeing in the past involving the Toffees -
- Blowing the final whistle as Everton were attacking a shell-shocked Manchester United at Goodison Park in September 2010.
- Wrongly sending off Jack Rodwell during the Merseyside Derby at Goodison in October 2011.
- Stevan Jovetic dive against Manchester City in January 2015.
- Not showing a second yellow card to Lucas Leiva during the Merseyside Derby at Goodison in October 2015.
- Allowing City’s Raheem Sterling to go out of bounds with the ball in the January 2016 Capital One Cup semi-final second leg at the Etihad.
- Abusing captain Phil Jagielka soon after he missed the call from above.
Match Officials details -
Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistants: S Child, S Burt
Fourth official: K Friend
Martin Atkinson’s Everton record -
Image counts Sunday’s game as a draw.