RBM's writers may have been somewhat pessimistic heading into Everton's opening match against Tottenham Hotspur last weekend, but after an encouraging performance and with inferior opposition approaching, confidence has quickly skyrocketed.
Last week, only three of our writers picked up any points, as six of our 11 writers predicted an Everton loss! The 1-1 draw was good news for Darren and Tyler, who each correctly picked the scoreline. Tom correctly picked Ross Barkley as the match's opening scorer, and also predicted a draw, albeit by the wrong scoreline. A summary of last week's picks is below, with correct picks in bold.
|Adam||Christian Eriksen||Gerard Deulofeu||Spurs||2-0|
|Brian||Harry Kane||Leighton Baines||Spurs||2-0|
|Calvin||Erik Lamela||Gareth Barry||Spurs||3-1|
|Darren||Christian Eriksen||Ashley Williams||Draw||1-1|
|Matt||Vincent Janssen||Ross Barkley||Spurs||2-1|
|Mike||Harry Kane||Gerard Deulofeu||Spurs||2-0|
|Ryan||Harry Kane||Romelu Lukaku||Spurs||3-1|
|Sean||Harry Kane||Ross Barkley||Everton||2-1|
|Tom||Ross Barkley||Ross Barkley||Draw||2-2|
|Troy||Gerard Deulofeu||Ross Barkley||Everton||2-1|
|Tyler||Harry Kane||Gerard Deulofeu||Draw||1-1|
Recall that a correct choice of winner or scoreline earns two points, and a correct choice of opening scorer or Everton man of the match earns one point. As such, our first RBM Writer Prediction League scoreboard of the season looks like this:
This week, the Toffees are on the road to take on West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League. The combination of last week's solid performance and the notable decline in the quality of opponent has led to much more hopeful predictions for this week.
|Adam||Kevin Mirallas||Ross Barkley||Everton||2-1|
There are a few interesting points in these picks:
- Ryan is the only writer to pick anything but an Everton victory -- he has West Brom winning 2-1.
- Six of our writers have Romelu Lukaku scoring the opening goal, with another two picking him as Everton's man of the match.
- Four of our writers were particularly impressed by Gueye's debut and chose him as Everton's man of the match for the West Brom match.
- Sean and Tom made the exact same prediction: a Lukaku opener, Gueye MOTM, in a 2-0 Everton victory.
|Darren||Arouna Kone||Mason Holgate||Everton||2-0|
- Four writers think this will be the first match we get to see the best of Bolasie, either choosing him as the opening goal scorer or man of the match.
- Three writers picked the young Tom Davies as their Everton man of the match.
- Two particularly bold writers, Darren and Tyler, think Kone will actually manage to score in this one, picking him as the opening goal scorer.
- Each writer picked Everton to win the match by at least two goals.