Former Everton manager David Moyes, who is currently at Sunderland, is not pleased with the Toffees right about now, and is quite unhappy about his best defender Lamine Kone either.
The defender released a statement to the media late yesterday, asking for a transfer.
After a week in which there has been a vast amount of speculation with regard to my future at Sunderland Football Club, I think that it is only fair to the fans of the club to clarify the situation. At the end of last season I was told by the club that I would be offered a new contract.
Following numerous phone conversation and face-to-face meetings, the latest of which took place today with David Moyes and Martin Bain, no contract has been forthcoming. It is therefore with much regret that I can only assume that I do not figure in David Moyes' future plans.
With that being the case it is with much sadness that I have asked the manager and the chief executive to be allowed to leave Sunderland Football Club.However, until that time I give my word that I will give my utmost in training and on the field.
Then, in his pre-match press conference earlier today, Moyes made a couple of interesting statements -
Moyes confirmed Sunderland have received a bid from Everton for Lamine Kone. @itvfootball— Phil Roscoe (@PhilRoscoeITV) August 12, 2016
Moyes said he's had conversations about Lamine Kone with Everton chief Bill Kenwright @itvfootball— Phil Roscoe (@PhilRoscoeITV) August 12, 2016
So there’s confirmation that Everton have made an offer for the player. It had sounded like the Wearsiders were resigned to let the player go, but then Moyes went on to say this.
Moyes also shed some light on Lamine Kone situation. He WAS promised a new deal. Offer stands, but only from Sept 1. @itvfootball— Phil Roscoe (@PhilRoscoeITV) August 12, 2016
Moyes said Kone contract offer isn't a priority while the transfer window is open. Plus he's still in a four year contract @itvfootball— Phil Roscoe (@PhilRoscoeITV) August 12, 2016
Kone is in the squad for Man City game. Moyes said "we need to see where his mind is" before he can play @itvfootball— Phil Roscoe (@PhilRoscoeITV) August 12, 2016
Now it sounds like Kone is part of Moyes’ plans in Sunderland, and it will take more than has been offered for Everton to prise him away.
The player however, will not be pleased to hear that he is being fined for the statement he made last night.
Moyes also said Kone has been told the club will honour a new contract offer in September, and that he will be fined for his comments.— Damian Spellman (@DamianSpellman) August 12, 2016
It was also curious to hear that it was news to Moyes that Kone had been on Merseyside a few days ago.
Moyes said he was surprised to hear Lamine Kone was in Liverpool at the weekend @itvfootball— Phil Roscoe (@PhilRoscoeITV) August 12, 2016