clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Stones and Coleman battling to be fit for Liverpool

Martinez to wait as long as possible to decide his derby team selection

Stu Forster/Getty Images

Everton manager Roberto Martinez will decide on Sunday whether to select John Stones and Seamus Coleman for the 225th Merseyside derby at Goodison Park.

Coleman has missed the club's last three games with a hamstring injury picked up against Chelsea on September 12th.

Stones meanwhile picked up a medial knee ligament injury against Reading and sat out Monday's 3-2 victory against West Brom.

Both players are due to take part in training on Friday, with Stones joining the group for the first time since his injury, with Martinez prepared to wait until Sunday morning before making a call.

Should neither player make it then Tyias Browning and Ramiro Funes Mori will continue to deputise along side Phil Jagielka and Brendan Galloway.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Martinez said:

"I think it's too early to tell now. They're progressing well and in the next two sessions we'll get a clear idea. I wouldn't be able to tell you one way or another.

"We will make a decision as late as we can, probably on the day of the game.

"John hasn't trained with the group, he has trained on his own. We have got two sessions now where he is going to be involved with the group and we'll make a final assessment."

Later speaking to the written press, including the Liverpool Echo, Martinez gave more details about Stones' injury and hinted that the England defender may not make it in time for Sunday's big game.

"It is a very busy period with the game on Sunday and then the international break which is very demanding for a player who has been out for a game."

"We'll need to make an assessment but we will make the right call.

"The medial ligament needs a bit of time because it is where the force of kicking the ball goes in your leg, so it needs to be repaired and 100%

"So from a medical point of view there is a real clarity and if we can get him 100% for Sunday then he will be available for Sunday but if not, then we'll make sure he comes back from the international break ready to perform."