clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Everton draw at Leicester

A disappointing second half leaves Everton rueing two dropped points.

Michael Regan

Everton were left rueing a drop in pace and a lack of cutting edge as they drew away at Leicester City.

Goals from Aiden McGeady and Steven Naismith, either side of a Leonardo Ulloa debut goal, had looked to give the Blues an opening day win before Chris Woord struck late on to earn the Foxes a point on their return to the Premier League.

Everton started the game brightly, with quick passing and high pressing a key component of their play. In early evidence was the telepathic relationship of Leighton Baines and Steven Pienaar, who linked up nicely on several occasions.

The first chance of the game would however fall to the home side. A Leicester corner was barely scrambled out and Wes Morgan fired wide, early signs of poor set piece defending from Everton in evidence. It would be Everton to take the lead though, in what would be a fast and furious five minutes of play.

Following an Everton corner, a Baines shot from distance ricocheted to Sylvain Distin who's shot was smothered by keeper' Kasper Schmeichel. However, the ball fell to Aiden McGeady, who took a composing touch and curled his shot in to the top corner, via deflection from the post.  Not to be downhearted though, the home side struck back immediately. After a scramble in the box, Distin's attempted clearance struck Ulloa, who duly fired in to the corner for a debut goal and Leicester equaliser.

The game was now end to end, with both sides attacking. However as the game looked to head into half time all-square, Everton struck again. Baines and Pienaar once more showed their link up play, the South African slipped but the ball fell to Steven Naismith, who curled excellently in to the top corner to put Everton ahead once again.

The second half would be one that Everton will be keen to forget. The danger signs were there early as Leicester pressed and Ulloa missed a headed chance after losing Phil Jagielka in the box. Jeffrey Schlupp would then have the home sides best chance of an equaliser as a superb long range pass found him and he raced past John Stones, only to lose all composure and fire hideously over the bar.

Everton could not find their rhythm and Romelu Lukaku was struggling up front, looking unfit after his summer at the World Cup. It was a substitute that settled this game though. Chris Wood replaced Ulloa and the equaliser came right at the death. Winger Mahrez cut inside from the right and shot, his effort taking a deflection and falling kindly to Wood who calmly finished into the bottom corner.

Nothing more would come after that, with Leicester happy to get a point and Everton rueing a dropped two points. Work needs to be done before the Blues take on Arsenal next week, with disappointment all round. What did you think of Everton's performance today? Get your votes and comments in below.