A horror start commenced by a 1st minute own goal by Antolin Alcaraz forced Everton to play on the back foot. Seamus Coleman further joined the misery by unsuspectingly heading to his own goal in the 31st minute after two Everton defenders missed on clearance headers.
Other than those two horrific errors, you could give a slight edge to Southampton but it was a relatively even contest. Everton lacked edge and commitment in the final third and couldn't buy a goal after some penalty claims, a few missed chances (mainly by Lukaku) and a very iffy offside call on Deulofeu.
But ignoring the officiating woes, there really just wasn't intent on the part of Everton. It seemed like the players didn't care and set pieces once again were horrific. Roberto Martinez really needs to be able to motivate his players on matches like this and it seemed like he failed. This is the second time now (after Crystal Palace) and he needs to figure out how to motivate during important matches.
A couple of notes (and opinions):
- Deulofeu should not start. We keep making this mistake, but he is just not good enough to be a starter. Definitely an impact sub, but McGeady definitely should be in instead.
- We can't completely blame the team as there were a multiplicity of injuries including Jags, Distin, and Mirallas. We really missed Mirallas.
- Speed continues to kill the team, and Martinez needs to figure out how to play against quick opponents. Liverpool will keep beating us if he doesn't figure it out.
- What is wrong with Barkley? It was a pretty important match for him (both for Everton and his World Cup chances) and once again he just disappeared.
- Days like this and we miss the Pienaar/Baines combination.
- Martinez really needs to work on set pieces over the summer. This season has been pathetic.
- I really, really hope we don't spend money to get Barry. He is completely overrated for me