Everton have finally completed the £13million signing of Wigan midfielder James McCarthy with just minutes to spare in the transfer window.
The Toffees have been linked with a move for the Republic of Ireland international all summer but the deal always seemed to be linked with the future of Marouane Fellaini.
As the Belgian seemingly on edged closer to Man United for around £24.5million, Everton then made attempts to bring McCarthy from the DW Stadium.
An initial £10millon bid was rejected over the weekend before rent-a-quote Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told virtually every news outlet that a second bid had been rejected because Everton wanted to spread the deal over four years.
That sent waves of mass panic through Twitter, as the fans contemplated a transfer window without a major signing.
However, at about 10:45pm UK time - 15 minutes before the deadline - it emerged that Everton had made a third bid for McCarthy that was deemed acceptable to the Latics.
The talented 22-year-old then arrived at Finch Farm around ten minutes later in order to put the final touches on the deal.
The price tag of £13million seems a bit steep and it seems Everton have paid a high price (literally and metaphorically) for doing a deal so late, but he is very highly rated by Roberto Martinez and he suits his style of play perfectly.
Is he the man for Everton's midfield? Have your say below?
More from Royal Blue Mersey:
- In a span of 30 minutes, Everton slammed the transfer window on their own fingers
- Three hours left to go as Marouane Fellaini and Victor Anichebe look on their way out
- Everton In For Lukaku Or Ba
- Rumor: Victor Anichebe to West Brom deal back on
- Fernando denies transfer on Instagram, Sky Sports doubles down
- Francisco Junior Sent On Loan
- Everton Transfer Deadline Day: T-minus 6 hours updates
- Conor McAleny Returns To Everton
- Everton's pursuit of James McCarthy looks to be over for the moment
- Manchester United not giving up on Leighton Baines
- Everton working on a deal to sign FC Porto's Fernando
- Everton @ Cardiff City: 5 Thoughts
- Everton Transfer Deadline Day Open Thread
- Everton Bid Rejected for McCarthy
- CARDIFF CITY 0-0 EVERTON: MATCH REPORT