It appeared as a deadline day farce, but it has been confirmed that Everton has signed Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku on a season long loan deal.
Signed @Everton on a season loan :-)— R.Lukaku Bolingoli (@RomeluLukaku9) September 2, 2013
The 20-year old will spend a second season on loan in the EPL after his stint last year at West Brom. The recent signing of Samuel Eto'o makes Lukaku the 4th or 5th choice striker under Mourinho and the lad will need the loan to get some playing time.
The Belgian international had 17 goals in 35 matches for West Brom last year, easily enough to be the top scorer for Everton. Though it isn't a permanent move it would be interesting to see if there is any option for Everton to buy. With Victor Anichebe set to depart and Nikica Jelavic unable to score, a good performance by Lukaku could convince Martinez he is worth what is sure to be a princely sum.
In the mean time, Everton will have to be content with using him for the coming season. He is certain to play a critical role in Everton's attack and with compatriot Kevin Mirallas in the squad, he will have someone who knows just how special he is.
Also it is ok folks, you can get excited and pumped for this one.
More from Royal Blue Mersey:
- In a span of 30 minutes, Everton slammed the transfer window on their own fingers
- Three hours left to go as Marouane Fellaini and Victor Anichebe look on their way out
- Everton In For Lukaku Or Ba
- Rumor: Victor Anichebe to West Brom deal back on
- Fernando denies transfer on Instagram, Sky Sports doubles down