After rumors swirled earlier in the day, it looks like former Everton defender Joleon Lescott will not be returning to Goodison Park. Early reports suggested that Everton was making a bid for Gareth Barry to remain at Goodison Park on a permanent transfer, and that one of Jack Rodwell, Joleon Lescott, and Tom Ince arriving on loan.
For those questioning why Everton would want to turn Barry's loan into a permanent move when his contract expires this summer, clubs are only allowed to have 2 domestic players on loan at any one time. Barry arriving on permanent would free up his loan space for another player.
Though it is still possible such a move could occur, Lescott will not be arriving. Earlier in the day he posted a message to fans on Twitter.
A loan move was never on the cards for me it had nothing to do with wages just simply a chance to win 4 trophy's with #City this season— Joleon Lescott (@JoleonLescott) January 31, 2014
The reaction seems to be one of relief from Evertonians. Lescott did not leave under pleasant circumstances, and although he would have helped Everton's depth, sometimes it is better to go in a new direction.
- Everton's new striker Lacina Traoré is tall, but just how tall is he?
- Everton supporter uses Twitter to ask Barclays to knock block Bill Kenwright's account, comedy ensues
- Everton eye permanent Barry deal and another loan signing
- Heitinga exit could spark further Everton deals
- Everton transfer deadline day open thread