The Premier League transfer merry-go-round moved up a gear on Wednesday as the big guns splashed their cash on young English (and many say over-priced) players.
For Everton it has largely been about players leaving, with Joseph Yobo and Yakubu set to follow James Vaughan out of the exit door. Yakubu has been linked with a return to Leicester in today's press, with a potential move to Turkey having broken down. Yobo's move to Turkey rests on negotiations between the club and Fenerbahce.
Johnny Heitinga isn't helping with his comments to the press, though in the Dutchman's defence I think he is being honest in interviews but that has simply given the journalists licence to twist his words into a sensationalist, disruptive story. He has said he is open to a move back to Ajax in order to play Champions League football, but the Dutch club claim they won't sign him as he is settled at Goodison.
As I said in the headline, confusion reigns!
Anyway, late last night rumours began to grow about a potential bid for Reading's Shane Long, a player thought to have been on Moyes' radar ever since Reading lost the play-off final against Swansea.
This article then appeared in the Irish press, suggesting Everton had won the race to sign the 24-year-old, though no price or quotes were mentioned. My theory is this has come from the Republic of Ireland squad, who were together for games against Macedonia and Italy this week. Maybe Seamus Coleman has put in a good word?
However, I did do some digging as I know someone with some contacts close the club. They got back to me with a quote from Nick Hammond, Reading director of football, who said no bids had been made for Long and that German giants Bayern Munich were interested.
Make of that what you will, there is so much confusion and rumour flying round at the moment it's slightly concerning to think we have to put up with this for another two months.